Pages

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Bumblebee, Optimus: Father Against Son in an Epic Battle!


Transformer Wars

     Some time in November, my husband had gone thrift store shopping alone.  This was something he found to be a pain when I introduced it to him six years ago.  I like to go what I call "treasure hunting" (but only in my head), and  find wonderful things for fractional prices.   I took my husband a few times and he stood by with a pained expression on his face as I searched for  my "treasures".  He was very skeptical.


     Until we found the fireplace grill.

     We had been looking for a fireplace grill for more than a year.  Ours wasn't horrible but it wasn't the prettiest thing, either.  However, we didn't have a lot of money to spend with a new baby (babies are very expensive).  So we searched.  And searched.  And searched.  

     Don't worry, I'm getting to the Transformers. 


     Apparently we have expensive tastes because we couldn't find anything we liked that we could afford.  Then one day I suckered Adam into coming out thrift shopping with me.  I'm digging through the usual brick-a-brack and he wanders off to look at something.  Five minutes later, he runs, (yes, runs!) up to me, more excited than a kid on Christmas, and says, "I found it!  Faith, I found a fireplace grill!"  
And he had.  Brand new shiny brass with glass doors and a screen.  The tape was still on it to keep the glass from breaking.  We paid $12.99 for it.  We've since seen the same grill for more than $200.  My husband was ecstatic.  He paid for it immediately and ran to the car to put it up.

    The next time I went he jumped to come along and found a gas powered weed whacker for $10.  He was hooked.

     Here come the Transformers...

     So anyway, Adam came home from the Goodwill this November, excited all over again.  He'd found an Optimus Prime mask for Hayden!  One of the cool ones that distort your voice and does voice effects.  It was a perfect Christmas gift because, while our son doesn't know what the heck a Transformer is, he knows robots.  And robots are cool.  And least that's what Hayden tells me.

    The problem was that my husband is a BIG Transformer's fan.  He grew up watching the cartoons, playing with the toys, himself, and he just couldn't help but put the mask on once in a while.  Then twice in a while.  Soon, I could tell that Hayden's Optimus Prime mask was fast becoming "Hayden's" (air quotes) Optimus Prime mask.  

      When my husband began to say things like, "Well, the mask may be too big for him," and "I think I'll put it up for him so that he doesn't break it,"  I knew it was time to take action.

    So for Christmas Hayden got an Optimus Prime mask from Daddy and Daddy got a Bumblebee mask from Hayden.  My husband watched TV for 3 hours in this mask.  You think he liked it?




     As soon as they were able, they decided to have a battle in the middle of my living room.  I got them to move it into the the entry way and took some photos for my pleasure.  And now for your entertainment!

     So without further ado,  TRANSFORMER WARS!


Introducing:
Bumblebee and Optimus Prime!




The Challenge is Set




The Battle Rages On




Optimus is Victorious!


  
Are there any fun antics you and your family like to get into?

If you were rooting for Optimus to win, share this!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...