Pages

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Giving Thanks 2010

This year, I find that I am most grateful that we all made it. 


I am thankful for:
  • my son, who makes me laugh 
  • my husband, my heart
  • my parents, who are always there even when I’m driving them crazy
  • my sister, she always has a few words and and glass of Moscato ready
  • my extended family, who love me like their own
  • my whole family and friends, may you all be blessed 

     The past ten years, the holidays have spelled loss for my family.  Every time we have gotten together recently it seems, has been for a funeral.  We have lost three grandmothers, three cousins, two friends, an uncle, my godfather, three dogs and most of these seem to come on or around the Thanksgiving and Christmas Holidays.  It has become custom in my family to call around after the first of the year and make sure everyone is still alive.
    All I can think of as the Christmas season approaches is, who is it this year?  My family has come to fear the holidays like most people fear tax season. 
     This year we decided to unite for no other reason than because we could.  We had a family reunion.  It was wonderful to be able to get together and enjoy each other’s company without the pall of a loved one’s loss hanging over our heads.  Turkey, dressing and laughter were the order of the day, Thursday, and we had plenty of that.  The wine and liquor didn’t hurt, either!
     Sometimes, we get caught up in that daily grind and forget to keep up with family.  My husband’s family is very tight knit and generally contact each other daily.  But most of us aren’t like

that.   Not that we love each other any less, but we get distracted and busy and though cousin Sue lives 10 minutes away, we haven’t seen her in 3 years. 
    We say we’ll see them on the Holidays, we’ll talk to them later, but sometimes later is too late.  Please don’t live your life looking back wishing you had spent the extra five minutes to call your grandmother and see how she was doing.  Don’t forget that life is fleeting and tell your parents, your kids, your spouse, your whoever in your life, that you love them.  You never know when it will be the last time.  Death is an equal opportunity reaper and He waits for no-one. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...