Pages

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Decorating project: Spare bathroom/ pt. 1

I have begun a my first real project around my house.  The spare bathroom.  It is, of course, one of the most important room for entertainers.  Besides the room you are entertaining in, the spare bathroom will be the room that most of your guests will see.  

I am a bathroom connoisseur.  I have loved deciding the colors, shapes and textures I will be going with.
Beautiful Sky-lit Bathroom
I confess, I go and search out the bathrooms of new homes I visit just to see what they've done with it.  Some people have cozy, homey little bathrooms with scented soaps, magazines, and plush rugs that make you want to stay forever.  Some folks went with the shower curtain, toilet tissue, soap dish, that's it, look.  Some people have bathrooms that are under construction, for 10 years.  And some, have made their bathrooms showplaces.  Deep whirlpool tubs and heated floors.  Crown molding, bold colors  and designer bathroom fixtures.
Zen Japanese Style Bathroom

Mmm.  Me likey.  I love a well thought out bathroom. 

We have a circa 1952 cottage style home.  This makes for creative decorating as you have to try and work around the antique effects you want to keep, --such as the lovely knotted pine cabinets and Copper Viking Range in the kitchen, the textured rosewood wall panels  and built in shelves in the den--, which things you want to chuck --the dried blood red paint on the exterior of the house (now ottertail with white trim), the horrible pink pile carpeting in the den (now hard-wood), the orange and brown linoleum that used to grace the kitchen floor (now tuscan style tile), the old beaten up peeling doors inside the house, and the wimpy, boring plywood front door which was replaced with a newly stained antique red oak door--, and which things you are forced to just work around.  

Our bathrooms are two things that we have to work around, or rather, the ugly 2 1/2 inch thick tile that comes shoulder high.  Our bathroom, though ugly, is workable.  It wasn't too difficult to tone down the pepto-bismol pink and baby blue tile, the pink porcelain toilet, sink and bathtub.  Finding the right shades of blue and white help to make the pink not stand out as much was easy.  Towels and accessories for these colors are abundant.

Now the spare is another story.  What I have is a far cry from the space and location that the bathrooms above have.  It's okay, I love a challenge.  Of course, I cannot expect the same results, but I think I can make this eyesore into something beautiful.   I have already stripped the walls of the ugliest 4 layers of wall paper  ever, cleaned off the glue, sanded and spackled.   Here's what I have to work with:

I am getting all new faucet and drawer and cabinet knobs in silver.

I guess the previous owners walled someone in.
There was a mirror over this area before I took it down. This light fixture has got to go.








Yes, that is a gray toilet. 
Mint green and gray tile!  Can you believe it!

Ample counter space for flowers or candles or something pretty.

Green and gray.  Green and Gray tile.  Seriously.   And nothing we can do about it.  That's okay I found the perfect color.   Are you ready?  Drumroll please...

I have decided on violet for the walls.  A deep warm violet.  

When I told my husband, he got this look on his face like I might have snapped.  I haven't.   I told him, you wait.  It'll look really good.  The towels are ivory with mint green, gray, gold, and lavender squares and flowers.  It took me two years to find towels with just the right colors.  Mint green, gray, and lavender, surprisingly, are not common color combinations!  

I stopped by Walmart to pick out my paint.  Night Edition.  It's almost an eggplant purple.  Lovely.  Since I don't know that much about house paint, I had the clerk pick out for me the correct kind for bathroom painting.  Yes, there is a correct paint for bathrooms.

The clerk tells me that I might want to choose a lighter color since the dark color will make the  small room seem smaller.   Mind your own business.  

I'm ignoring suggestions.  I know what I want.  

I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...