Pages

Friday, April 8, 2011

I heart Bar-B-Que! Seasoned, Grilled Pork Loin



I love my grill.

Being from Memphis, home of the best barbeque ever, I spend all winter thinking of all of the stuff I'm going to throw on the grill as soon as it gets warm enough.  I don't stop grilling until the first snow, which for southerners means February.




This past fall my old grill, a tiny little tabletop leftover from when my hubby and I were still dating, fell apart.

 Literally.

Whole Pork Loin
 I cooked the last T-bone on it and the bottom fell out of the grill as soon as I took the meat off.  It was small but it did the job.  We had a little ceremony and went to look for another one.

We found a nice Kingston Grill that, King, our dog,  couldn't eat up like he did the first tiny grill replacement.  My husband put it up as soon as we got home and we grilled on it that night.

Make sure to check the meat's temperature
So now that it's grilling time again, I decided to try a nice pork loin.  I've never done anything big on the grill before but I do a mean spinach stuffed pork loin in the oven so I figured, why not?

Pork is lovely grilled and smoked and very easy to season.  You'll need:

  • 3 Tablespoons Mustard: Dijon or a coarse ground tart mustard are best for flavor.
  • Tablespoon garlic. minced or finely chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper


Other things you'll need:

  • meat thermometer
  • 4 or 5 lbs pork loin 


Mix the mustard, garlic, and pepper into a paste.  Mustard and garlic are the two ingredients that bring out the best flavors in pork according to the Joy of Cooking.   You can use this same mixture on chops,  pork shoulders, and pork steaks.

 Cut a few slits into your pork loin, making sure to not make the cuts too wide or deep.  You will lose moisture that way.  Nothing more disappointing than a fine cut of meat that's drier than a bone.  Rub the mixture into the meat.
Sliced, also makes great sandwiches!

Throw it on the grill, medium flame about 25- 35 minutes per pound.

It may take about 3 hours or so.  Check to make sure you have maintained 170 degrees or whatever temperature your meat thermometer has listed for pork.  Be prepared to have to refresh your coals a couple of times to keep your temperature constant.

The meat will be slightly pink around the edges but should be white throughout.

Slice and garnish with barbeque sauce.

YUM!
Add homemade baked beans and sweet coleslaw for a true Memphis style experience.  

Enjoy!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...